A Look Back at the Ekibin Hospital During WW2

Did you know that Tarragindi was the former location of a field hospital during WW2? The Ekibin Hospital was used to treat shell-shocked soldiers during the Second World War and was also occupied by the 102nd Australian General Hospital which treated patients suffering from psychoneurotic disorders.

The Ekibin Hospital, built in 1943, was situated within the boundaries of Sexton Street and Toohey Road. The site grew to more than 90 structures by the end of 1944, with buildings occupying parts of Effingham, Fingal and Lutzow Streets and having a total capacity of about 1,250 beds. 

155th Station Hospital

The 155th Station Hospital was a 500-bed hospital erected on 15 May 1941. It sailed to Australia on 19 May 1942, arriving in Sydney on 4 June 1942. In October of that year, the hospital moved to Camp Cable at Tamborine from Doomben Racecourse.

The 155th Station Hospital then moved to the Ekibin Hospital on 28 January 1944 and stayed there for a few months before transferring to Holland Park Hospital on 30 June 1944, taking over the space previously occupied by the 42nd General Hospital.

102nd Australian General Hospital

After the 155th Station Hospital moved out of the Ekibin Hospital, the Australian Army 102nd Australian General Hospital (102 AGH) took over in July 1944. By the end of 1945, 102 AGH had admitted almost 1,600 patients with psychiatric problems.  

The 102nd Australian General Hospital then moved to Holland Park Hospital after the Americans vacated the site. Ekibin Hospital was later occupied by a British Naval Hospital.

After the war, the Queensland Housing Commission used part of the site for displaced individuals. Ekibin Hospital was demolished sometime in 1955-56.

The Ekibin Memorial Park was established at the site to commemorate its role during the Second World War.